Your Guide: Chatham Moving Tips
Moving is a stressful time. At Discount Moving, we understand how overwhelming and difficult this transitional period in your life can be, which is why we’ve put together a collection of information and moving tips for our Chatham customers. To help you be at ease, we want your entire moving experience to be a stress-free one, which is why we believe that going over some tips and tricks can help you and your family. Our collection of moving tips will help you be more prepared and also assist you to have a successful moving experience even before your actual moving day. Browse through and enjoy! For more information, give us a call today and we’ll be more than happy to give you a moving quote. Or you can check out our services page to help you get a sense of how we can meet your moving needs.
What Happens When the Weather Is Less than Ideal?
Regardless of the weather conditions, Discount Moving will continue to complete their job while providing customers with our quality moving services. Our team understands that unpredictable weather is unavoidable, however, that will not slow us down and instead, our movers will take extra precautions to protect floors and carpeting from excess dirt, soil or water. We take extra care to ensure complete adherence to safety standards.
Money-Saving Moving Tips
- Be organized. The more organized you are the less time it will take to load the truck.
- Try to have boxes in one location on the main floor, anywhere near the main entrance or in the garage. This will reduce time spent running up and down stairs or searching the house room by room for any stray boxes.
- When packing, try to avoid open top boxes. These boxes don't stack well and can cause wasted space.
- Disassemble furniture and exercise equipment. ie: beds, mirrors off dressers, computer desks, and anything else that may be needed to take apart in order to fit through doorways or around tight corners. While we are happy to do these things for you, it can be quite time consuming. Less time spent by us on tear down and set up equals a lower cost to you.
- Direct traffic during the unload. It's your furniture and you know where you want it, so tell us as we bring it in and we will be happy to place it wherever you like. This will keep us from having to move items multiple times or find someone to tell us where the items go.
- In winter months, have driveways and walkways clear of snow and ice to ensure the movers safety and the safety of your furniture.
When Is the Best Time to Move?
Day of the Week:
Sticking to the weekday between Monday and Thursday is your best bet. It will allow you to save a few bucks when hiring your moving company and you’ll experience a less busy moving day like Friday or the weekend. As well, you’ll endure a less stressful moving process. So opt for the weekday!
Time of the Month:
Moving mid-month will make it an easier experience for you to hit the road. If you can, try to avoid moving in the beginning or the end of the month, as this is when most people plan their moving days.
Time of Year:
Typically the “high season” or the most common time to move takes place during the months from May through September. Moving companies are the busiest during these months, as families use the summer months to move without disruption, since children are out of school. If you can plan ahead, try to move during the fall, winter or early spring months, in other words, from October through March would be ideal.
Can I Pack My China, Glass & Crystal?
A lot of times people like their household items, especially fragile items, to be professionally packed by a moving company. We advise you to practice the basic principles of packing which are: to wrap your items individually, provide plenty of cushioning, and make sure to use a sturdy container with a lid. Place a 2 or 3 inch layer of crushed paper on the bottom of the container to create a cushion, wrap the items individually with a soft material, and pack the heaviest items on the bottom, while filling any empty spaces with crushed paper.
Can Jewellery and Other Valuables Be Moved?
It is usually recommended that valuables such as jewellery, money, collectibles, or antiques, be transported by you.
When Should I Call a Moving Company?
It’s best to give a moving company four to six weeks’ notice, if possible. The more lead time you give, the more likely your moving company will be able to meet your delivery schedule, resulting in less stress.